Featured Post

Original Allen & Ginter Week: Quadrupeds

Welcome back to another Original Allen & Ginter Theme Week post!  On both Monday and Tuesday, I showed off sets in which I only owned a single card representative.  For today's post, it's time to take a look at a set that I actually own more than one card from (in this case, I own two cards).  Hey, two cards is 4% since the set is 50 cards in size.

The Allen & Ginter Quadrupeds set is 50 cards in size and was released in 1890.  As the title of the set suggests, each subject in the Quadrupeds set has four legs.  I suppose it was a somewhat clever way to have animals like an armadillo, Flying Squirrel, Jaguar, Musk Ox, and Walrus all in the same set!

My new addition to my Quadrupeds set is this gorgeous deer card.

Anyone who grew up in north central Pennsylvania has to have some sort of appreciation for a nice deer.  I'm not a huge hunter (I bought a license this year but never had the time - nor did I make the time - to go hunting).  However, I still appreciate a beautiful looking deer in the wild - and on my trading cards I guess!

The deer joins the Bloodhound - a card I've had in my possession for quite some time now.

As you can see from the scans of the back of the card, the deer (on the left) is in much better condition than the Bloodhound!

Unfortunately for me, I have two of the more boring cards from the set - certainly neither the deer nor bloodhound are as exciting as a puma or moose!  In case you are wondering, here is the entire 50 card checklist for the Quadrupeds:


  • Antelope
  • Armadillo
  • Badger
  • Beaver
  • Bighorn
  • Black Bear
  • Bloodhound
  • Boar
  • Buffalo
  • Camel
  • Chamois
  • Deer
  • Dromedary
  • Elephant
  • Fox
  • Flying Squirrel
  • Grey Squirrel
  • Giraffe
  • Gnu
  • Grizzly Bear
  • Hippopotamus
  • Hyena
  • Ibex
  • Jaguar
  • Kangaroo
  • Leopard
  • Lion
  • Llama
  • Lynx
  • Marten
  • Monkey
  • Moose
  • Musk Ox
  • Opossum
  • Orangoutang
  • Otter
  • Peccary
  • Porcupine
  • Polar Bear
  • Prairie Dog
  • Puma
  • Raccoon
  • Reindeer
  • Rhinoceros
  • Tapis
  • Tiger
  • Walrus
  • Wolf
  • Zebra
  • Zebu


The only disappointment that I have with the set is that a lot of the creatures in the Quadrupeds set were also featured in the 1888 Wild Animals of the World (which I featured on the blog yesterday).  By my count, 29 of the 50 animals are in both sets (and that's not counting the kangaroo which is featured as a Giant Kangaroo in the Wild Animals of the World set and as a basic kangaroo in the Quadrupeds set).  Otherwise, this set is also a lot of fun - and would be another fun one to try and collect!

Comments

  1. Looks like someone used that Bloodhound card for there checklist. Are the imaged the same between the two sets for the same animals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid keyboard, apologies for the terrible spelling in the first comment. Exchange their for there and images for imaged and then my comment makes more and clear sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:40 PM

    La Llama es un quadrupedo!

    Sorry, couldn't let a post about quadrupeds go by without making a Monty Python "Llama" reference.

    Quidado! Llamas!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment