Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

My First NEW 2013 Pack of the Year

I've opened a lot of packs already this year - but most packs were five or more years old (and for the group break).  Today, I get to open the first NEW pack of the year.

It's not a pack of 2013 Topps, and it's not Panini.

Nope, it's Phungo!

Paul (from the Phungo blog) has been making a custom set for a few years now.  This isn't the first time I was lucky enough to get a few of his Phungo cards (and I hope it won't be the last time)!  Let's take a peak at the pack.

I'm not wild about Buster Posey on the wrapper since he knocked the Reds out of the postseason but I'm not one to judge a book by its cover.

So, how'd I do with the pack itself?  Well, consider this.  I highly doubt I'll open a single pack out of any other 2013 product that will be better!

First, a bunch of Phungo originals.

Madson is a bit of downer since he basically just collected a paycheck from the Reds for the year while sitting on his bum.  On the other hand, Frazier played his tail off and (along with Ryan Ludwick) pretty much carried the Reds while Votto was out with his injury in 2012.  Scott Rolen is another favorite of mine (and a nice looking card to boot)!

Anyone who has had the privilege of opening a Phungo pack knows that it's not just Phungo cards within.  There are also cards by "other" manufacturers.  Some of my favorites from that group of cards include an Allen & Ginter "World's Biggest" mini card that I've needed since 2010.
It takes a special kind of collector to be excited about receiving a card featuring nothing but steam but hey, that's what Ginter will do to a person!  The World's Biggest insert set is a lot of fun - and one that I still hope to eventually finish.  In case you are curious and/or have some lying around, here's what I still need from 2010 Allen & Ginter:

World's Biggest:  6, 7, 9, 14, 15, 16, 19, 21, 25
Celestial Stars:  CS 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11
Regular back minis:  6, 8, 20, 34, 51, 54, 58, 106, 109,  114, 170, 178, 184, 187, 212, 228, 230, 231, 235, 246, 254, 274, 278, 280, 294

Other awesome cards include this well-loved (but much appreciated) Vada Pinson card.

That's not a reprint kids.  Phungo don't roll that way!  I don't have all that many cards from pre-1982 so anytime I get one I'm appreciative!  I doubt I'll ever have the proper funds necessary to complete all the old Topps sets but I might be able to someday complete the Reds team sets (except for pesky cards like the Pete Rose rookie card).

And, second perhaps to only the Ginter mini that I needed is a bunch of new-to-me Barry Larkin cards!

Thanks for all the sweet cards Paul!  You've set the bar amazingly high for the other 2013 products.  The ball is in your court now Topps, let's see what you've got!

Comments

  1. Glad I was able to add to the Larkin Collection. Nice job on the Phungo Cards - thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment