Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Topps American Heritage Heroes - Page 12

This page marks a changing of the set style that Topps used.  Card #100 (Carl Sagan) is the final "Heroes" card.  The next 25 cards in the set are part of the Historical Events subset.  I don't have many complaints about the set but I do wish that Topps would have made 9 card subsets rather than 10 card subsets (simply because 9 card subsets would fill a full binder page without having to mix designs on the same page).  A small quibble, but as a set collector it's important!

Page 12:


Best photo:  Paul Revere's Midnight Ride
Almost all of the photos on the page are great - the Washington painting is certainly iconic!  However, I gave the nod to Paul Revere because the image conveys an amazing sense of urgency (plus I love the fact that you can see the clock in the tower).

Best subject:  The Underground Railroad
The Underground Railroad is a fascinating part of American History - and something worthy of being in a set subtitled "Heroes" to be sure!

Best surprise:  "I Only Regret that I have but One Life to Give my Country."
Nathan Hale uttered the words right before he was hanged by the British (Hale is regarded as America's first spy).  Hale is now the official state hero for Connecticut (who knew states even had official heroes?!).

Best card back:  "I Only Regret that I have but One Life to Give my Country."
I had heard the quote before, but I didn't know the full context of the situation.  I enjoy learning - and I learned the most from this card back.

Best card:  "I Only Regret that I have but One Life to Give my Country."
At first glance, I didn't think this card was going to win "best on the page" but I think it is deserving.  A close second to both the Boston Tea Party and Paul Revere's Midnight Ride though.

Comments