Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 184: 1989 Bowman - #311

Barry Larkin
Year:  1989
Brand:  Bowman
Card number:  311


Let me start by saying that I hate the 1989 Bowman set.  Mostly, I hate the set because each card is just a bit larger than a "normal" card.  I get that it's a nod to sets of yore, but somethings are better left in the past.  I also don't particularly care for a card front that shows neither the team nor nor team logo.  Heck, it doesn't even have any writing on it other than Larkin's fake signature (which isn't easy to read).

The back is alright I guess.  In fact, the back was the only redeeming part of a Bowman card when I was a kid.  I always enjoyed seeing how a player stacked up against the Reds (or in the case of a Red, how that player fared against the various teams in the league).  Of course, single year statistics broken down by opposing teams can't possibly be statistically significant but they are still sort of fun.

That's as much praise as the 1989 Bowman set is going to get from me.  I'm mostly happy to have this card checked off the master Larkin list...and it's (barely) wedged into a standard nine pocket page!

Comments