Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

My First Blaster of 2013: Packs 1 - 3

I mentioned this yesterday, but I finally decided to splurge and buy a blaster of a 2013 product.  What better way to jump into the newest crop of cards than by going after Gypsy Queen?  Here are the first three packs out of the blaster - here's hoping I get something super awesome!

Pack 01:
108.  Nick Maronde

Not the best start - a card of a guy I've never heard of from a team that I can't seem to get rid of cards of.  Ouch.  However, when you are the first card that I open up from a set, you get a scan.  Congrats!
147.  David Ortiz
Now that the Red Sox don't suck again, will all of the Red Sox collectors come back to the blogs?  I can't believe how hard it's been to get Boston fans to claim the Sox in recent group breaks.  Boston used to be the first team (or maybe just after the Yankees) claimed.
335.  Alfonso Soriano
Just ugh.
Mini:  91.  Matt Holliday
I'm still a sucker for the A&G/GQ sized mini cards.  Too bad my first one is a Cardinal though.
GS-RB.  Roger Bernadina

The Glove Stories cards seem kind of cool, I've always enjoyed Gypsy Queen's insert sets and this one seems to fit the bill perfectly.
NH-KM.  Kevin Millwood

Another nice looking insert set.  I do have to wonder why I ended up with two inserts plus the mini in a six card pack.  At this rate, it'll be impossible to actually complete the full base set!  Of course, I'm getting way ahead of myself...one blaster does NOT mean I have to complete the set...

Pack 02:
161.  Whitey Ford
I enjoy getting older legends mixed in with new players, but I do wish Topps would mix up the players a bit better.  Enough of the Yankees!
172.  Yoenis Cespedes
I have to admit, I didn't think this guy would be as good as he seems to be.  Then again, that's probably only because I'm a pessimist.
349.  Mat Latos

Latos is quickly becoming one of my favorite Reds - so getting this card in the second pack makes me happy indeed!
Mini:  158.  Wade Boggs
Another nice mini, at least it's of a player I don't hate!
GS-MM.  Manny Machado

Do you get one of the Glove Stories in every pack?  The wrapper says no (they are seeded 1:6 packs) but so far it's two packs, two Glove Stories.
NH-CH.  Catfish Hunter

The No-Hitters are seeded 1:4 packs, so getting two of those so quickly is a bit less surprising.  I'm still holding out hope for a retail only autograph or maybe one of the triple auto/relic things seeded 1:55,737 packs (yeah right)!

Pack 03:
98.  Jake Odorizzi
Another unknown to me - but that's ok.  It's good to have a few rookies in the set!
115.  Pedro Alvarez
I get the Pirates channel at home, so I happen to know about Alvarez.  Perhaps it'd be more accurate to say I've heard of him and could tell you what team he played for...yeah, let's go with that.
212.  Kevin Youkilis

As a Yankee.  Haha.  I feel like that should make both Red Sox and Yankee fans mad.  Perfect.
228.  Hiroki Kuroda
Another stinkin' Yankee.  Sheesh.
Mini:  36.  Avisail Garcia
Uh, yeah.  Moving on.
CP-MM.  Miguel Montero

I love the Collisions at the Plate cards, I've made that comment a few different blogs already.  I'm glad to have this one in my collection - very nice indeed!

Not a terrible start to the blaster, though I can't say anything I've opened makes me regret not buying more of the product earlier on.  Maybe I really am too cynical...  Oh well, there's still five more packs to get me hooked on the set.

Comments