Featured Post

Makin' a Card Purchase from JustCommons.com: Part II

Yesterday, I showed off the first part of a large purchase from JustCommons.com.  Today, it's time to take a look at the next batch of cards.  I bought cards from a variety of sets in the order (after all, my want list is fairly extensive) but the one set that I focused on (for reasons admittedly unknown even to me) was the 1999 Fleer Ultra set.

Out of the 44 cards that I purchased, 15 of them were from the '99 Ultra set.  I managed to whittle my want list for the set down to exactly one common plus a few short prints!
1999 Fleer Ultra Wants:Base:  74, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 248, 249, 250
Here are (some of) the newest additions to my collection:

20.  Vladimir Guerrero

I would say that Coca-Cola got their money's worth from their advertisement on the outfield wall.  I'm not enough of a sleuth to figure out what ballpark this is, though I will say it doesn't necessarily scream astroturf to me.

147.  Damion Easley

This could have been an awesome photograph - but for some unknown reason Fleer slapped the hideous foil name on top of the action.  A terrible move that ruined what would have been a pretty cool card.

186.  Dan Wilson

Night Owl has a feature where he highlights unsung players who have had a nice run of cardboard photos.  I think I'd nominate Dan Wilson, I feel like he often has cards that have me do a double take.  Then again, I haven't done one ounce of research so what do I know?

209.  Karim Garcia

Garcia appears to be attempting to throw the baseball into the third deck...  Also, his right arm and wrist look like they might be broken.  This card definitely wins the "most awkward photo" award for my purchase.

214.  Checklist (Frank Thomas)

Yeah, I bought a freakin' checklist.  What can I say, I needed it...and it happens to be numbered as part of the set.

225.  Season Crowns:  Travis Lee

I bought two of the Season Crowns short prints.  The other (not pictured) was of the cheater Alex Rodriguez.  It pained me to add the card to my cart, but I did it.  In other news, these are lame short prints.

I've still got a second team bag full of cards from JustCommons that are waiting to be sorted and scanned.  I promise not to show any more from '99 Fleer Ultra - but I will highlight some Turkey Red, Topps Heritage, and even Upper Deck Masterpieces.  Stay tuned!

Comments