Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

NEW CONTEST: Sign Ups Are Open! Blogger Bracket Challenge 2013!!

Back in August of last year, I hosted a contest for my 200,000 page visits where I used various cards as writing prompts for contestants to write about.  The contest went quite well - many people said that it helped drive readers to their blog, etc. so I thought I'd give it another go.  In addition, I've now moved a bit over 250,000 page visits so it seems like a good time to celebrate!

Therefore, I can officially announce:

BLOGGER BRACKET CHALLENGE 2013!

That's right - it's on like Donkey Kong!  I'm going to use similar rules as last time - but with a few changes which will hopefully make things run even smoother than before.

Here's how it will work:

I would like 16 people to volunteer (if I get 32 volunteers then I can work with that as well).  For now, I'll say the first 16 to respond on this post are in but everyone else can keep expressing interest in case I make it to the 32 person mark.  You must have a blog - and if you don't, here's the perfect excuse to start one!  I will say that last year we had 37 contestants so I'm hopeful we can hit the 32 mark at least this year!  However, so long as I get 16 people I'll run the contest.

Using Random.org, I will construct a bracket for the 16 participants (or 32 should we get that many).  It will be a knockout style challenge where only one blogger will remain - and that person will win some kind of prize.  The real prize of the contest is to increase your own blog views, plus all the entertainment that we all get from reading all the various posts.  Last year, I loved reading different people's takes on the exact same card - many times it made for fascinating reading!

Each round will begin with me posting a single card on my blog.  That card will be the catalyst for the current round - each participant will write a post that somehow ties to the particular card that I chose.  Your creativity, humor, etc. will all get a chance to shine here!  Once the post is written, you put a link on that round's post.  I'll give participants 2-3 days between when I post the image and when I close the round.  After that, there will be a day or two of public voting (all in good fun of course), and then the winners move on to the next round where you'll get a new card to write about.

In this way, I hope to be able to accomplish a few things:
1.  The contest worked so well last time I wanted to revive it this year - and at a time where there's not much going on for most of our favorite teams *cough* my Reds choked it away again this year *cough*.
2.  Since I do have a nice group of readers, this contest should provide some traffic to a lot of other blogs - I encourage new bloggers and/or bloggers who don't get a lot of readers to participate as well!
3.  I've noticed quite a few people say that have the baseball card writing blues.  A few people have announced they are leaving the blogs, many others say that they are totally uninspired.  It is my goal to use this contest as a way to spur on some new blog post ideas - funny, goofy, serious - there's room for all of those in this contest!
4.  I want everyone to have a chance to write a few posts before being eliminated from the contest.  Thus, like last year's contest I'll hold a seeding round where no one will be eliminated and then the contest will start in earnest.  Unlike last year, I might do something for the eliminated contestants who still want to play along - more on that later.
5.  I want to keep everything in good fun.  There is always a chance for unwanted drama when voting is part of something, but in this case I think it should be a lot more interesting than simply pulling names out of a hat!  Remember, people will be voting for their favorite post, not their favorite blogger or blog!  That's an important distinction.  The biggest thing is to keep it fun!

As for the prize, I'll try to tailor it to the winner's interests.  The prize will include cards of the winner's favorite team and/or cards from their want list (if I can help out there).

Now, sign up in the comments below - and then look for the contest to begin as soon as I get enough people. Oh, and if you want to pimp this contest on your blog - feel free to (though I would never require you to stoop to such low levels)!

Comments

  1. I'm up for the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun - I’ll play

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felt too much like a rookie last year to sign up. This year I'm IN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow sounds like fun count me in and thanks for the contest,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right up Random Alley. I'm totally in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in it to win it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Consider youself plugged:

    http://playingwithmycards.blogspot.com/2013/10/nacho-blog-but-grande-contest.html

    So now my two readers know about your contest! You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll try it again. Maybe I can improve on my second place showing last time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I'll bite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I plugged twice (two blogs = one general cards + one Homie Team specific):
    http://captkirk42.blogspot.com/2013/10/not-chyour-contest-or-mine-either.html
    http://curlywcards.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-nacho-blogging-contest.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. D'oh this doesn't allow edits. For the contest I'll just be posting on my general card blog not the Homie one. Hope I didn't cause any confusion and sorry for sooooo many comments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I think I will try this it. This seems like a fun contest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to get in!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This contest sounds awesome, and I'd love to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If there is room, I will give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would enjoy writing about some random/funny baseball cards, I will enter if there is space!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Still room to join. I'm closing the entries at 10:00 PM EST on Sunday, October 20. Tell your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a great time! I'm game.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know a blogger challenge rumble aint a rumble without me! IN!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ill join into the cunning. Joeaverage collector

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn auto correct on my phone...contest not cunning.

      Delete
  22. Anonymous7:09 PM

    Sounds like fun! I would very much like to join in, but I'm honestly not super-into the contest part. If you end up with 33 participants, you can freely leave me out of the brackets.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Doh, I am 13 minutes to late to join. Ah, well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  24. Damn, too late! Sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  25. McCann Can Triple and Nathan Bell. Consider me generous, I've added you two to the list. The entries are officially closed now...and I should have the first round up shortly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment