Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Crackin' Wax's Secret Santa Success!

I took part in my first Secret Santa of the baseball card variety this year thanks to Crackin' Wax's program.  My secret Santa turned out to be Sam of the recently revived Daily Dimwit blog!  Sam sent me a rather large package that contained two major components - One: a big 'ol trade we completed and Two:  my secret Santa gift!

Since there are way too many goodies in the box to show off in a single post (my poor scanner would be furious if nothing else), I'm going to split the bounty up into multiple posts.  There's no hard and fast line between what was part of our trade and what belongs to the Secret Santa portion of the gift - so I'll be mixing it up as I post!

For tonight's post, let's take a look at the biggest things in the trade envelope.

We begin with a pair of Wonders of the World box toppers from 2013 Allen & Ginter.  I'm a total sucker for Ginter so I made the (not-so-bright) decision that I'd chase all the box toppers in addition to almost everything else in the set.  Happily for me, Sam had a couple to send my way which means I am now only missing 13 out of the 27 Wonders of the World cards.  That might not sound great (and it's probably not), but any time I creep closer to my goal of finishing the set I'm happy!

On to the two cards.  Both of box toppers that Sam sent me were from the Ancient Wonders subset (the full set consists of the seven ancient wonders, the seven modern wonders, and the seven natural wonders).  The first was this Statue of Zeus at Olympia.

I've actually had the opportunity to go to Greece and stand where the original Olympic games were held!  Of course, the Stature of Zeus no longer exists (it was believed to have been moved to Constantinople and later destroyed in a fire).

The second box topper was of the Colossus of Rhodes.

Like the Statue of Zeus, the Colossus of Rhodes is also gone for eternity.  From what I could find, the Colossus appears to have been destroyed by an earthquake about 60 years or so after its construction.

In doing the research for this post, I found it interesting that only one of the seven ancient wonders is still around (the Great Pyramid of Giza).  Five of the seven have been destroyed by various forces (man and natural) and one may never have even existed except in people's imaginations (Hanging Gardens of Babylon).

That's the magic of Allen & Ginter if you ask me - you never know what you might learn!

The third and final extra large thing that Sam sent me was this beautiful framed autograph of Frank Robinson.

The autograph even came with a certificate of authenticity!

This will make a great addition to my "man cave."  I just have to figure out the exact right spot to hang it up!  Thanks for the trade and Secret Santa gifts Sam - and of course I'll have more from this great package of goodies in the upcoming days!

Finally, if anyone else would like to trade, you know the drill.  Check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments

  1. Frank has a beautiful signature. Looking forward to the rest of the loot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment