Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Priority Flat Rate Box Exploration: Team Bag #4 from 2x3 Heroes!

By now, I'm sure you all know the drill - this is the fourth (of seven) team bags from Jeff over at 2x3 Heroes.  All seven team bags arrived in a single Flat Rate box...but you can't combine all that goodness into a single post (and apparently in my case, I couldn't combine them into n different posts where n is defined to be less than or equal to 6).

Here's the fourth bag:

This time around, I decided to pick out my five favorite cards from the bag and do a mini countdown.  It was actually tough to pick out only five - there were a couple of "near misses" including a 2000 Fleer Tradition card (a set that I love as I mentioned in a previous post)!

Anyhow, here are the five cards that did make the cut!

#5:  2006 Upper Deck - Todd Coffey

This is such a strange photo that I couldn't help but include it in the top five cards countdown.  Sure, it's not a great card (or even a "good" card) but it is an interesting card.  Why does Coffey have a gigantic jacket on?  Why is he in uniform?  Is he in the dugout?  If so, why does it look like he's sitting by a billboard?  Why would Coffey be in the dugout, he's a reliever?  So many questions!

#4:  1993 Fleer Ultra:  Jose Rijo

Rijo was a great pitcher for the Reds for a few years (probably the last great pitcher the Reds had before their current pitching staff actually).  It's sad how quickly Rijo found himself unable to play professional ball (although he kept trying to make a comeback which only made me feel worse for him).

#3:  2012 Bowman Platinum:  Devin Mesoraco

It's the Devin Mesoraco show in Cincinnati this year and I for one sure hope he's ready for the big time.  The guy can hit...but he can also look absolutely clueless at the plate.  I'm hoping that the Reds' new manager is able to get Mesoraco straightened out so that the Reds don't regret jettisoning Ryan Hanigan to the Rays.

#2:  1992 Studio:  Rob Dibble

I'm guessing a lot of you would have put this as the #1 card (or else left it off the list entirely).  I think people, in general, either love or hate the Studio line.  I'm not like most people though as I find Studio a "take it or leave it" kind of set that doesn't really evoke any strong reactions from me.  That said, this card is great.  Dibble is rocking the sunglasses and either trying really hard to be intimidating or else he thinks he's a comedian.  Quite frankly, I don't care what his intentions were - the end result is a hilarious card that I'm quite pleased to now own!

#1:  1994 Upper Deck:  Joe Oliver

You ever stumble across a card that just makes you stop and say "woah, that's different"?  Well, that's what happened to me when I flipped through the stack and found this card.  It's not the coolest card or the best photo, but the final product is some sort of work of art.  I very much appreciate this card - and so it's a worthy piece of cardboard to take home the crown of "best card in the team bag."

Comments

  1. Even sadder is that Rijo's arm woes turned out to be the least of his problems.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment