Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Collection 262: 1992 Studio - #23

Barry Larkin
Year:  1992
Brand:  Studio
Card number:  23

The '92 Studio set always struck me as a bit creepy - and as such, I never have bothered to try and track down any of the cards (besides the Larkin card of course).  Just look at how Larkin is staring (glaring?) into the camera...it's like he's trying to woo the viewer with sultry eyes and a terribly hideous uniform.

While the front of the card leaves a lot to be desired (and I won't even mention the world's most drab border color selection), the back of the card provides a rather unique and intimate look at the ballplayer.  For instance, I had no idea that Larkin's favorite book is Old Man and the Sea (oye).  In fact, I don't know how anyone can choose that book as their favorite...but I digress.  I also like the "Loves/Hates to Face" bit - though I bet Zane Smith wasn't too happy to see that Barry hit over .400 against him with 3 homers.

In the end, I guess I should give Studio a bit more credit - while the front of the card is a bit too creepy for my tastes, the back is definitely unique enough (and it's hard to be unique in a collection of over 250 different Barry Larkin cards)!

Comments

  1. I feel like the players are at the mercy of the photographers in these Studio sets. At least they included an action ackground, and it's not just the portrait this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment