Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Collection 269: 1992 Topps Kids - #37

Barry Larkin
Year:  1992
Brand:  Topps Kids
Card number:  37

In 1992, Topps released a 132 card set aimed towards children (and showing an utter lack of creativity called the set Topps Kids).  The set was organized by team so Barry Larkin joins Eric Davis, Chris Sabo, Rob Dibble, Paul O'Neil, and Jose Rijo as the Reds' representatives in the set.  Each card features a colorful front (basically a simple photo of the player overlaid some sort of psychedelic background - because kids love bright colors dontchaknow). The back of the card features very little in the way of statistics but that's made up fro the great comic and the "fun box" where Topps teaches kids what certain statistics mean and/or how to calculate them.

Overall, I think that this was a solid effort to appeal to kids - but I do remember when I was a kid I saw some of these cards and thought to myself "meh, these things are for kids - I want the real stuff."  That was, of course, foolish since "real stuff" to me meant Upper Deck Collector's Choice...but that is the difference between marketing to kids and labeling your product as for kids.  Kids aren't totally dumb - but they can be tricked rather easily!

Comments

  1. I especially appreciate Topps's efforts on the back of the card to make math fun. It all went wrong, though, when the Fun Box talked about how to figure a standard deviation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment