Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Proof That Not All Cardinals Fans are Bad! (Delivery Time from Yadier Molina Baseball Cards)

The St. Louis Cardinals and the Cincinnati Reds have a spirited rivalry.  Unfortunately for Reds fans, Cincinnati almost always seems to end up on the wrong side of the scoreboard (or standings).  In some ways, I think the Reds actually aim to be like the Cardinals (strong farm system, dedicated fan base, etc.).

I definitely don't care much for the Cardinals (though most of the egregious players are either no longer in St. Louis or else aren't playing due to injuries, etc.).  In fact, I would say the worst Cardinal from my perspective was Chris Carpenter.  That dude would whine about anything and everything when things didn't go his way - and his wrath wasn't just aimed towards the opponent - there were many games I watched were Carpenter would turn around and scream at an infielder if that player made an error.  Way to pick up your teammates jackwagon.

Anyhow, episodes like that make me not care for the Cardinals - but as I'm quickly learning, just because you don't like the team doesn't mean you won't like some of the fans of that team.

My latest case in point?  Brady from Yadier Molina Baseball Cards.

Brady recently contacted me saying he had some cards for me as a "thank you" for my blog.  Quite frankly, that was a surprise in an of itself (Reds/Cardinals connection notwithstanding).  Who ever thanks me for my blog and the drivel I throw out here on a (twice) daily basis?  Not many, that's who!  However, I was deeply touched by Brady's kind gesture - he even included a little note in the package saying that my blog was the inspiration for him to start his blog - very cool indeed!  (And with that, welcome to the blog-o-sphere Brady!)

As for the cards that Brady sent my way, there were a bunch of goodies!

Brady hit me up with a few 1966 Topps cards - most pre-1970s stuff is a giant hole in my collection so cards like this are always appreciated!  I'm in the middle of a complete collection reorganization and it's quickly becoming obvious just exactly how few pre-1970s cards I actually own!

Brady also sent me a bunch of more modern stuff including this O-Pee-Chee card of Joey Votto.

Votto seems to be deep in thought in this photo - but then again, Votto is almost always deep in thought!  He's a great hitter for a reason - a true student of the game!

Votto isn't only a student though, he's also a teacher to another player who came up through the minors with him - Jay Bruce.

Bruce and Votto can almost always be seen on the Reds' bench sitting side-by-side chatting about (presumably) hitting (or maybe the cute blonde three rows up, one never knows for sure).  The Bruce that Brady sent me was one of the Archives gold parallels - and they look awesome in the 1990 Topps design!

In a fun twist, Brady also sent me some cards off my want list - though I didn't actually add the 2013 Topps Chrome set to my want list until about a month after receiving Brady's package in the mail (I told you I am behind posting trades)!

No matter, two of the three Chrome cards were needed for my set (and if anyone else has some 2013 Chrome lying around let me know)!

We end today's scan happy post with one more goodie from Brady - this super thick 2013 Topps ManuPin card of Johnny Bench.

This is a pretty cool card, though I have no idea how I'll ever store it safely as it's thicker than your typical pack of baseball cards (and heavy too)!  I also wonder if anyone has ever taken one of these cards apart to see if the pin is a true pin (i.e. is there the sharp pointy bit on the back)?  I'm not going to wreck my card though so I'll rely on one of my readers to do a bit of baseball card dissection on their own collection!

Thanks a million for the cards Brady - and even more thanks for the kind words!  As for anyone else, if you want to trade be sure to check out my want list and make an offer!  (And if you find yourself with a pile of unloved Yadier Molina cards - send them to Brady!)

Comments

  1. I am glad they made it safe and sound. You never know when some more Reds will pop up in your mail. I have to say some of my favorite baseball memories involve The Big Red Machine and Barry Larkin and Chris Sabo-who could forget those googles. Any who I will call out my fellow Cards' fans. For the love of God stop booing Brandon. If the Mad Hungarian says he is good people then he is all right with me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment