Featured Post

The Great Reorganization: Step 6: The 90s Have Been Sorted (Preliminary Sort Done Anyhow)!

Before I get to today's post, let me wish my sister a Happy Birthday!  I'm 99% certain she doesn't read the blog but hey, Happy Birthday anyhow, Sis!

Now, on to the next step in my ongoing collection reorganization.  In my last post, I detailed how I was initially sorting my gigantic stacks of cards that have already been pre-sorted by years.  At that point in time, I had finished off 1990 and 1991.  About ten days later and I'm proud to report that I now have the entire decade of the 90s finished off in terms of a preliminary run through.

As usual, I broke the task down into smaller bits (some of which I already talked about so check my archives), but I ended up deciding to build TWO frankensets rather than just one.  I now plan on an all-Reds frankenset and a frankenset of NO Reds.

I figured that would serve me well for a couple of reasons:

1.  I won't have to decide between a cool card of a non-Red and a generic Reds player.  It's hard for my to favor almost any non-Red over a Red...especially since I've already taken out a few of the guys who might have the power to do so (Griffey as a Mariner, Cal Ripken, Frank Thomas, etc.).

2.  I like participating in group breaks - and having an all-Reds Frankenset means that there will still be a reason for me to acquire random Reds cards (besides the ever present search for any and all new Barry Larkin cards)!

I have purposely not sorted any of the potential Frankenset cards - that'll be a task for another day (and it will probably provide a fun series of blog posts when the time is right)!  For now though, I'm more interested in trying to determine which sets that I want to collect and which I want to give up on.  For the preliminary run through the 90s, I ended up with a list of FIFTY-FOUR different potential sets to collect.

That's insane.

That's absolutely insane on a lot of different levels!

My goal was to downsize my collection so that I could make room for 2014 cards (and beyond)...  Instead, at the moment I'll have to build a new wing to my house in order to hold all the binders that would be needed to properly store 54 different sets.

No, that can't happen - and that's only sets from 1990 - 1999 too don't forget!

Instead, it's a simple starting point.

For those that are interested, here's my list as it stands (note there are some insert sets listed as well - I didn't count them in my total set count since they'll be stored with the corresponding set in a binder when all is said and done).

Potential sets to collection (emphasis on the word potential right now):
1990:

  • Topps (complete)
  • Score
  • Upper Deck
  • Fleer


1991:

  • Donruss (complete)
  • Donruss Highlights Insert
  • Topps (complete)
  • Fleer
  • Score (complete)
  • Upper Deck Final Edition (complete)


1992:

  • Upper Deck
  • Topps


1993:

  • Topps (complete)
  • Topps Update (complete)
  • Topps 1994 Sample set (complete)
  • Topps Black Gold Insert (complete)
  • Upper Deck (complete)
  • Score Select


1994:

  • Fleer
  • Topps
  • Collector's Choice
  • Bowman's Best


1995:

  • Collector's Choice
  • Topps Stadium Club


1996:

  • Score
  • Collector's Choice


1997:

  • Fleer Sports Illustrated
  • Collector's Choice (complete)
  • Collector's Choice All-Stars insert (complete)
  • Collector's Choice Big Shots insert
  • Collector's Choice Stick-Ums insert
  • Collector's Choice The Big Show insert (complete)
  • Fleer Metal Universe


1998:

  • Collector's Choice (Series 1 complete, Series 2 not complete)
  • Collector's Choice Star Quest (Series 1 complete, Series 2 not complete)
  • Collector's Choice Stick-Ums insert
  • Upper Deck Retro
  • Fleer Sports Illustrated
  • Fleer Sports Illustrated Then and Now
  • Fleer Sports Illustrated World Series Fever
  • Topps
  • Fleer Metal Universe
  • Pacific
  • Pacific Paramount
  • Pinnacle Performers
  • Fleer Tradition
  • Fleer Flair


1999:

  • Upper Deck Retro (complete)
  • Fleer Ultra
  • Fleer Tradition
  • Pacific Crown Collection
  • Pacific
  • Pacific Private Stock
  • Pacific Paramount
  • Upper Deck HoloGrFX
  • Pacific Invincible
  • Topps
  • Topps Stadium Club
  • Upper Deck
  • Upper Deck MVP
  • Topps Gold Label
  • Pacific Aurora
  • Collector's Choice


Phew!

That's a lot of sets to consider collection - though there are at least a few that are totally complete.  As for the sets that aren't complete, some I'm missing only a handful of cards for while others I only currently own a handful of cards for!  In other words, not all sets on that list are equal in terms of potential level of completion difficulty...then again, not all sets are equal in how much I like them either - and therein lies the rub as they say!

...to be continued as I keep sorting cards!

Comments