Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

2014 Topps Allen & Ginter Box #1 Conclusion: Given the Choice Between an Autograph and Being Boiled Alive...

For me, it's always a bit sad to reach into a hobby box and pull out the final few packs.  I love opening up packs so getting to the end of the box is always a bit of a somber experience.  Happily for me, while the first box of 2014 Topps Allen & Ginter's is all but complete, I still have three more sitting on my desk waiting to be ripped (and scaned...and posted)!  

Through 22 packs, I've found exactly two hits which means there better be a hit in one of the final two packs or else my box was shorted...  

Pack 23:
169.  Dale Murphy
176.  Anthony Robles
194.  Avisail Garcia
253.  Rickey Henderson
Pastime's Pastimes:  Rickey Henderson

Reg. mini:  65.  Fred McGriff

Framed autograph:  AGA-DR.  Darin Ruf

Well, the good news is my box had three hits.  Even better news is I lucked out and pulled an autograph.  The bad news?  I've never even heard of Darin Ruf before - even if the back of the card says he is a star outfielder for the Philadelphia Phillies.  

Pack 24:
12.  Jedd Gyorko
34.  Felix Hernandez
175.  Chase Utley
267.  Kevin Clancy
268.  Jarrod Parker
271.  Chuck Klosterman
Pastime's Pastimes:  Nolan Ryan

Outlaws, Bandits, and All-Around Ne'er Do Wells:  Ishikawa Goemon

We end the box on a high note (for me) with another mini insert.  Did you know that Goemon was a legendary Japanese outlaw in the 16th century who ultimately met his demise when he and his son were boiled alive in public as punishment?  

Comments

  1. What's Rickey's pastime

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Outlaws card is too cool! I may have to chase that sub-set down!
    Keep me in mind before you go to eBay with that Ruf auto, I'd be interested in it...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment