Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Collection 295: 1993 Colla Collection All-Star Game - #20

Barry Larkin
Year:  1993
Brand:  Colla All-Star Game
Card number:  20

Before starting my blog many years ago, there were tons and tons of sets that I had never seen (or even heard of).  Over the years though, I like to think that I've become fairly knowledgeable about most sets (especially those of the 1990s when Barry Larkin was in his heyday).  However, every now and then I acquire a Larkin card that makes me sit back and go "huh?".  Today's addition to my Barry Larkin Collection is one such example.

The 1993 Colla All-Star Game set is mostly a mystery to me still.  I managed to find a checklist for the set online (here) in which I learned that the entire set is only 24 cards in size (or 25 if you count the unnumbered checklist).  The set is filled with the stars of the day (no surprise given the set's name) but I believe this Larkin card is the only card that I own from the set (I wouldn't mind acquiring the Ken Griffey Jr. card at some point).

As for the Barry Larkin card itself, I like it!  The front features a team logo, a nice image of Larkin, and best of all, no foil!  The back features a second shot of Larkin along with his All-Star game statistics for his career (which are unfortunately quite dismal as of 1993).  I also like the addition of the National League logo on the back of the card.  As a whole, it's a simple but effective card - and definitely one of the nicer oddballs out there!

Comments