Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Weekend Blaster! 2014 Topps Allen & Ginter's Fake Gint-a-Cuffs (Part III)

Welcome back to another fake Gint-a-Cuffs post.  I'm in the midst of busting my final (probably) blaster of 2014 Allen & Ginter's cards.  After the first two packs, my blaster had a score of 32 points.  After the next two packs, the score went up a single measly point to 33 points (which is where we currently stand).  Let's keep the ripping going - and maybe this time around we'll score more than one combined point!

Pack 5:
19.  Pablo Sandoval
The panda is a fun nickname.  +5
118.  Adam Schefter
ESPN has a lot of personalities that could potentially get cards in Ginter - Adam Schefter is not one that immediately comes to mind as deserving.  -5
155.  Yogi Berra
Even Yogi suffers from Yankee stink.  However, if you come to a fork in a road, take it.  Wisdom like that is impossible to ignore - and for that I'll give 'ol Yogi a few points despite his Yankee-ness.  +2
338.  Andy Pettitte
Another Yankee, but I have nothing but disdain for Pettitte.  Much like Clemens, Pettitte was a cheater and cheaters have no place in my Ginter set.  -30 but +5 for the short printedness since I'm a set collector.  Card total:  -25.
Reg. mini:  346.  Ivan Nova
Yet another Yankee, that makes three in this pack.  That alone is worth -20 points.  I'm not collecting the mini set this year so the fact that Nova is a short print is virtually meaningless to me.
Air Supremacy:  Hawker Hurricane

An insert that I needed!  Woo!  +20.

Pack total:  5 - 5 + 2 - 25 - 20 + 20 = -23 points
Blaster total to date:  10 points

Obviously that wasn't a successful pack.  Way too many Yankees.  Let's move on.

Pack 6:
11.  Nick Franklin
I know nothing about Franklin.  +0
(114)  Desmond Jennings
I'm assuming the fact that Jennings' card has no number is because of the Ginter code.  I do know that it's really annoying to have a base card without a number - especially for set collectors.  However, I'll give that a pass since I think the Ginter code is a fun addition to the Ginter brand.  +5
154.  Eric Hosmer
The Royals might as well be called the Vanillas in my world.  +0
267.  Kevin Clancy

I had never heard of Barstool Sports (where Clancy blogs) until reading the back of Clancy's Ginter card.  Like many people, I did go to the site and check it out (no link though, trust me).  I guess if you like headlines with things like "whoring selfies collide" or "naked bums of the day" or even "weekend boners" then the site is for you.  For me, I think Topps could have included a card of a slug or maybe even a boring stick and that would have been more appropriate.  I can only assume (hope?) that Barstool Sports paid good money to Topps to get in the set.  -50
Reg. mini:  282.  Salvador Perez
A vanilla mini!  +0
Pastime's Pastimes:  Adam Jones

I don't think this insert will save the pack even though it's worth a few positive points. +10

Pack total:  0 + 5 + 0 - 50 + 0 + 10 = -35
Blaster total to date:  -25 points

OUCH!

I guess getting a single point in the previous post was actually a good total.  Who knew?!  Let's hope the final two packs contain something good, otherwise this will be the worst Gint-a-Cuffs blaster in the history of the fake Gint-a-Cuffs.

Comments