Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Collection 297: 1994 Donruss - #DK17 - Diamond Kings Insert

Barry Larkin
Year:  1994
Brand:  Donruss
Insert set:  Diamond Kings
Card number:  DK17

When I was really young (i.e. 1991), I loved Donruss' Diamond King subset.  By 1994, Donruss had all but ruined what made the original Diamond King subset great.  For starters, Donruss turned the Diamond King into inserts which were seeded 1:9 packs.  That would be bad enough but then Donruss had to go and make the "Diamond King" banner at the top of the card all foil.  Finally, while I usually like Dick Perez' art, this particular Larkin drawing is a miss in my book.

Despite all the negativity in the previous paragraph, I am happy to have this card in my collection.  In fact, my 1994 Donruss collection is sorely lacking (I don't think I ever bought a pack of the stuff back when it was released).  There is also a jumbo box topper of this Diamond King Larkin card from the 1994 Donruss set which I do not yet own (as of the time of writing this post anyhow).  In fact, there is a regular 'ol Larkin base card from the 1994 Donruss set that has also eluded me thus far - perhaps I'm not the only one who mostly ignored this particular set release!

Comments

Post a Comment