Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 325: 1994 Topps - #250 - Gold Parallel

Barry Larkin
Year:  1994
Brand:  Topps
Parallel set:  Gold parallel
Card number:  250

I have to admit, I never understood the appeal of the "original" Topps Gold parallels.  Sure, the original Topps Gold (1992 Topps) was sort of novel...though unfortunately Topps completely bungled Larkin's Topps Gold version and never issued a correction.  In 1993, Topps continued their Gold parallel set with an even uglier design...and that leads us to 1994.  Still Topps Gold, still super ugly.  The 1994 Larkin card is perhaps one of my least favorite base cards of Barry that Topps ever released.  The front of the card features Larkin wearing sunglasses that make him look like he either belongs on Star Trek OR in a welder's shop.  The back of the card features Larkin literally giving the photographer a big 'ol "F."  We can only assume a "U" followed in the next frame.

And for me, well, let's say I won't be sad when we get to the part of my Larkin Collection where Topps Gold turns into a serially numbered parallel set.  It's still not perfect, but it's a lot better than this pitiful attempt.

Comments

  1. I love looking through your Larkin posts to see which cards we have in common, and I guess I shouldn't be that surprised that there's so many differences between our collections because he's simply been on SO MANY.

    I'm with you on calling the early Topps Gold cards boring at best and mostly ugly.

    Speaking of both comments above, I don't actually have any of those Gold parallels of his from '92-'94!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dennis:
    I have a Larkin 1993 Topps Black Gold for you if you need it.
    I also have a Larkin collection and love keeping up with Nachos Grande's take on his Barry's. My collection is approaching the 700 mark. I have done some trades with Chris and other bloggers, so if you ever want to compare lists, give me a shout freckerj(at)Xavier(dot)edu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dennis, I have an extra 1993 Topps gold parallel that I'll send your way. I'll save Joe some postage and send you the 1993 Topps Black Gold card as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment