Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 334: 1994 Upper Deck - #385

Barry Larkin
Year:  1994
Brand:  Upper Deck
Card number:  385

I loved the 1991 Upper Deck set.  I liked the 1992 Upper Deck.  I didn't buy enough of the 1993 Upper Deck set as a kid to appreciate it much (and I hated the cursive font), but now I love that set too.  In fact, of the three sets, 1993 is the only set that I've completed.  That leads us to 1994.

The 1994 Upper Deck set is ugly.  There, I said it.  Sure, the photography is typical top notch work from Upper Deck, but the card design is hideous.  Instead of an understated design like 91-93, Upper Deck hog wild and threw multiple photos (included squished pictures), text going multiple directions, even a sideways team logo on the back for no reason.  No, this is not a good design at all.

And that's a shame because the photography is still great.  I especially like the shot on the back of the card of Larkin turning a double play.  Good stuff...but the crazy fonts and sideways statistics draw my eye even more and, in the process, make me angry.  I have no love for 1994 Upper Deck, though I am glad to have the Larkin.  I think one example from the base set is more than enough for my collection.

Comments