Featured Post

Delivery Time! An EPIC Box from Alaska! (Part III)

I've been enjoying my time going through a huge box of cards courtesy of David up in Alaska.  By my count, I have two more posts to write after this one...that's how great the box of cards was!  For today though, let's focus on some of the assorted Reds that David sent my way.

First up, a pair of Christmas-themed Reds' cards.  

I think I prefer the green border over the red...which is weird since typically red borders look good with Cincinnati Reds cards.  Maybe it is just that I don't have nearly as many of the green bordered cards as I do the red...the relative scarcity makes it seem cooler I guess.

From red and green to blue and gold - some more Reds' parallels but this time they are serially numbered.

The thing about blue and gold is that it reminds me of school.  My high school that I graduated from had blue and gold as its colors...and so did my undergraduate college.  Needless to say, I owned a lot of blue and gold shirts back in the day (heck, I still have some of them)!

I don't normally scan Bowman cards but this purple refractor numbered out of 199 was simply too pretty to ignore...even if I know nothing about the player featured.

I like getting cards like this in the mail - it reaffirms my decision to not actually ever buy any Bowman for myself...I'll just wait for random trades to complete my sets!

Speaking of Bowman, how about this one?

I think that middle chunk is begging for a relic or autograph, but otherwise this is a pretty cool card.  I'm still a sucker for a good die-cut - and this one is pretty good.  It's also shiny which I like!

Finally, we end with three decidedly non-shiny cards.

The first is an old Topps scratch-off card from 1981.  

I have never seen these before - but they are kind of cool.  I definitely would have scratched all mine when I was a kid!

Next up, another Johnny Bench.

I believe this is a legends variation card...and it must have been taken during the 1972 World Series (which the Reds wound up losing unfortunately).  I especially love the crown in the background - everyone looks so formal!

We end today's post with a Panini card that caught my eye...it's some sort of wood-esque card.

I imagine this is what the Allen & Ginter's wood minis are like (but in all my years of buying Ginter, I've never actually pulled, nor held, a Ginter wood mini)!  There's no picture on the card (boo) but I do love the feel of the wood (that's what she said).  

Thanks for the great assorted Reds David!  Next up, we'll take a look at the single largest stack of the trade box...and then it will be time for my favorite card of the box!  Stay tuned...so much more great stuff yet to come!

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:11 PM

    Isn't that a cubs logo on the Bench card? Sure doesn't look like any reds logo I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, I think you are right! I didn't even notice that when I did the card scan...I was too busy looking at the background of the image (and trying to figure out what game the image was taken during)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment