Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 350: 1996 Topps Laser - #S5 - Stadium Stars Insert

Barry Larkin
Year:  1996
Brand:  Topps Laser
Insert set:  Stadium Stars
Card number:  S5

The 1996 Topps Laser set featured two different Barry Larkin cards.  There was the regular base card and this card, a Stadium Stars insert card.  Since I own them both, I can officially cross the Topps Laser set off my list of needs in terms of my Barry Larkin Collection!

Turning our attention to the card itself, it should be noted that the Stadium Stars cards are tough pulls - they were seeded 1:60 packs!  The cards certainly feel special since they form a folded "book" of sorts - the front is the laser cut portion with the Reds logo.  When the card is closed, you can make out a lot of Larkin's image through the holes in the cover of the card.  It's a cool idea even if there is no great way to store this card in a binder!

Quite honestly, there isn't much to complain about with the card except maybe how Topps decided to do the statistics on the backside.  I find it somewhat tricky to read the statistics - and why they are called Light Year Stats is beyond me.  The fine print above the Light Year Stats line says "Statistics project an optimum year for player by pro-rating his career best in each category to 162 games."  That's sort of bizarre (though I maintain that calling it Light Year Stats still makes no sense).  Otherwise, this is an awesome card - and a great addition to my Barry Larkin Collection!

Comments

Post a Comment