Featured Post

Finishing off my 2004 Topps Bazooka Box (Final Eight Packs)!

My group break should be getting underway within a couple of days - so I really need to get this box of 2004 Bazooka that was a Christmas present for me off of my desk!  In order to do that, I first need to post the results of the final eight packs of the box!

As with the previous Bazooka post, I won't give a pack-by-pack blow...there will be plenty of that type of commentary when the group break begins.  Instead, I simply want to show off some of the highlights of the final third of the box.

We begin our tour of the final third of the box with my favorite base card of the bunch - a Jeffrey Allison first year card.

I have no idea who Allison is - but based on that card I'm thinking he is a pitcher for a 16-17 year team in south Florida.  His card back does say he was Baseball America's 2003 High School Player of the Year...so that explains his boyish looks.

We also found another pair of base card image variations.

Roy Halladay isn't a bad name to get duplicates of - and in this case while the card number is the same the image is not which means these aren't technically duplicates!

The red chunk parallels don't interest me that much but I did manage to get a Red this time around which was nice.

I actually like the Piazza red chunk too - even if that's a lot of red on a Mets card!  That's actually the second Mike Piazza red chunk parallel from the box...but the other one had a different front image on it.

The minis are much, much better (in my opinion).  I did well with this bunch too:

That's a really cool Jody Gerut image along with a classic Pujols photo.  Good stuff for sure there!

The final eight packs also yielded the usual assortment of inserts.  I found another three comic cards and another three sticker cards (not shown).  I also found one more tattoo card - this time of Manny Ramirez.

I believe I heard that the Cubs recently signed Manny Ramirez to be some sort of instructor?  I'm not sure that's a great idea...

What is a great idea though is getting a relic of a guy who you don't see featured in baseball card products much.  How about this?!

That's a cool Ron Darling relic - complete with a nice quote from him.  Darlin's career ran from 1983 - 1995 so he'd been out of MLB for about a decade before this card was made.

Overall, I crushed this box.  Getting a serially numbered relic was a big surprise and then the Darling relic pushed the box over the top.  For a cheap box, it was a lot of fun to bust...and what more can you ask for?  The only bad thing is that I didn't get all that close to completing the set...so now I have to decide whether or not to try for the set - decisions, decisions!

Comments