Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 378: 1996 Sportflix - #60

Barry Larkin
Year:  1996
Brand:  Sportflix
Card number:  60

The Sportflix brand may not hold the same level of prestige as Topps or Upper Deck (hah!), but it will forever hold a special spot in my heart.  You see, I was given some late 80s Sportflix cards as a gift back when I was a little kid and I thought those cards were the coolest!  If you look at a Sportflix card and compare it to a 1988 Topps card, you can see why a kid would prefer Sportflix.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer a kid - and with adulthood comes a different way of looking at and evaluating cards.  For me, Sportflix is one of the brands that simply doesn't hold up any more for me.  Oh sure, the 1996 Sportflix is basically the same as the late 80s stuff that I loved...but by the mid 90s baseball cards had moved on...well, all except Sportflix it seems.

I will give them credit for avoiding foil at least.  That's another mid 90s craze that couldn't die quickly enough!

Comments