Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Collection 384: 1996 Upper Deck - #310

Barry Larkin
Year:  1996
Brand:  Upper Deck
Card number:  310

I distinctly remember buying my first pack of 1996 Upper Deck.  When I opened up the pack, I was instantly repulsed by the huge amount of copper foil.  So much so, in fact, that I never bought another pack of Upper Deck that year.

Looking back on the set years later, I think I made a mistake (at least if this card is any indication of the quality of the base set).  After all, how often do you get a photo of your favorite player posing in a swamp about to (presumably) go duck hunting in full baseball gear?  Oh, you mean that background is photoshopped?!  Well, fine then.  How often do you get your favorite player with a photoshopped duck pond in the background.

Never, is what I would say - unless your favorite player is Barry Larkin.

This is one weird card - and I love it for that!  I also like the more classic (but still quite nice) shot on the back of the card.  If only the team logo was on the card front...and maybe a bit less foil, this could easily be my favorite set from 1996!

Comments