Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Tales of Listia: The Two Dollar Bill and How It Relates to Ginter

A year or so ago, I was quite active on Listia - but a string of bad experiences (mostly sellers not sending the item I won) left me feeling sort of sour.  Then, over the past six months or so I've noticed that there has been severe credit inflation on the site - so much so that my 1,900 some odd credits were basically worthless.  This soured me even more.

For some unknown reason though, I clicked over to Listia last week and did a quick search for Allen & Ginter thinking maybe I could snag a card or two that I needed.  As luck would have it, I ended up having just enough credits to land a single mini card from the 2014 Allen & Ginter set.

That's John Trumbull from the Where Nature Ends mini insert set.  Before landing this card, I was still missing a decent sized chunk of the set (six in all) - and at least now that number is down to only five (view my full want list here).

I never took an art class in college so I don't know much about many of the artists in the insert set.  According to the card back, Trumball was the son of a Connecticut governor.  Trumball was a Harvard graduate who was blind in one eye and painted works such as The Death of General Warren at the Battle of Bunker Hill (which I never heard of by name but I've definitely seen the painting).
The painting is fully described in the article text.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_General_Warren_at_the_Battle_of_Bunker%27s_Hill,_June_17,_1775
Trumball also painted The Declaration of Independence which is featured on the back of the $2 bill.
Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Trumbull
A fun fact about the $2 bill - I keep one of those in my wallet wherever I go.  I don't know if it's superstition or if I want to make sure I can always buy a drink if I'm completely parched...but I haven't gone anywhere without that $2 bill since I first put it in my wallet about ten years ago!

While I may not be real likely to return to Listia any time soon, I do have to thank the seller for providing me with a nice learning opportunity (and, just as importantly, I get to remove one more card from my want list)!

PS:  Happy Labor Day everyone...  While you (most likely) get the day off, my college is in full session (we are beginning week 3 already)!  I guess there's worse problems to have than having to labor on Labor Day.

Comments