Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Collection 451: 1997 Upper Deck SP - #55

Barry Larkin
Year:  1997
Brand:  Upper Deck SP
Card number:  55

For whatever reason, I never got into the Upper Deck SP brand.  Actually, I take that back.  I know the reason why I never got into the SP brand...it was because neither my local CVS (where I bought most of my baseball cards in 1997) nor my local "big box" stores carried the SP brand.  And, to be fair, even if they had carried the brand - my poor child self wouldn't have been able to afford such "high end" cards anyhow.

So what did I miss out on in 1997?  Well, judging from this Larkin card, I missed out on a fairly nice looking set (even if there is too much foil).  I particularly like the image that Upper Deck used for the front of the card - it's obviously posed, but it has enough character (and is different enough from so many other baseball card images) that I like it.  The back is a bit more standard...and in Upper Deck's way, you barely get any statistics at all (which I don't like).  Altogether, this is a nice set that suffers from a bit too much foil and not enough numbers on the back of the card.  Still, I'm glad to have it in my Barry Larkin Collection!

Comments