Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Collection 453: 1996 Upper Deck SP - #MM12 - Marquee Matchup insert

Barry Larkin
Year:  1996
Brand:  Upper Deck SP
Insert set:  Marquee Matchup
Card number:  MM12

While I have two-and-a-half bookshelves filled with binders (all full of sets of baseball cards), you won't find a single binder with the Upper Deck SP brand in it.  For whatever reason, I've avoided the SP brand from the start...and since I'm consistent if nothing else, I'll probably continue to avoid the brand moving forward.

Of course, there is always an exception to the rule and that exception happens to be Barry Larkin.

I want all Barry Larkin cards you see, even from brands that I have no particular allegiance to or desire to own (ahem, Bowman).  Upper Deck SP Larkin cards fit into that category as well (and I've already showcased Larkin's 1996 base card from Upper Deck SP here).

Turning our attention to this particular card - it's from the 20 card Marquee Matchups insert set and was seeded at a rate of 1:5 packs.  I guess the idea here is to pair up Barry Larkin with some other player (the checklist didn't afford any obvious choice for me) to produce some sort of Marquee Matchup.  I guess a hitter should be paired with a pitcher for the insert title to make sense, but I'm willing to bet that's not how Upper Deck did it.  No matter, this is the only* Marquee Matchup card that I want...and since I have it, I'm happy!

*That's a bit of a lie since there is also a die-cut parallel version of this card out there.  Luckily for me, I actually own that card as well...and it will show up in a future Barry Larkin Collection post.


Comments