Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Collection 466: 1998 Bowman Chrome - #63

Barry Larkin
Year:  1998
Brand:  Bowman Chrome
Card number:  63

The Bowman line has never been my favorite - and I'm not sure that applying Chrome technology to the brand helps out all that much.  As a player collector, the worst thing about most Chrome sets is the plethora of parallels...and yes, 1998 Bowman Chrome suffers from parallel overload as well.  In fact, besides the regular base card there are another FIVE parallels to chase (International, Refractor, International Refractor, Golden Anniversary #/50, and Golden Anniversary Refractor #/5).  As of this moment, I only own Larkin's regular base card...so I guess I have some parallel hunting to do!

As for the card itself, what can I say?  It suffers mostly from "being Bowman."  I could do without the faux signature on the left-hand border...and why is the circle holding the player's position so much larger than the team logo?  On the back, I guess I don't have a lot of complaints - color coordinated with team, Bowman style statistics, and a nice (alternate) photograph of Larkin makes for a solid presentation.

All in all, this isn't the worst year of Bowman...though I'd be hard pressed to decide which year is the worst year *shudders even thinking about that task.*

Comments