Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 476: 1998 Score - #64

Barry Larkin
Year:  1998
Brand:  Score
Card number:  64

By the late 90s, it was clear (to me at least) that the Score brand had pretty much lost its way.  For my money, Score was never as classic as Topps, never as cutting edge as Upper Deck, and never as interesting as Fleer...except perhaps for the 1991 Score set (a set that I love way more than I ought to)!  Truth be told, the 1998 Score set isn't bad (though I do hate the vertical name plate on the front of the card).  The photography is nice (especially on Larkin's card) and the back of the card is chock full of information!  Looking back, I probably should have given 1998 Score a chance...but now that's been almost twenty years, I think I'll simply settle for owning the Larkin cards from the set.

Speaking of Larkin cards from the set, I am still missing the rest from the 1998 Score set including:

  • PP28:  Showcase Series (a silver foil partial parallel set seeded 1:7 packs)
  • PP28:  Showcase Series Artist's Proof (a prismatic partial parallel set seeded 1:35 packs)
  • 8:  All Score Team (an insert set seeded 1:35 packs)
  • 8:  All Score Team Gold (a parallel of the All Score insert set that supposedly exists (according to baseballcardpedia) but the way the cards were disseminated is unknown)

Comments