Featured Post

The Great Reorganization: Step 20: Taking a Look at 1986!

Over the past several years (yes, years), I have been trying to get my baseball card collection under control.  Awhile back, I decided to sort all my cards by year first - and those giant stacks of cards have been sitting precariously for the past several months.  While I don't have the time (or energy) to go through a "large" year's worth of cards, I would still feel better if I made at least a little progress before Thanksgiving gets here.  And so, I present the year 1986.

There weren't a lot of card releases back in 1986 - and most of what was released is, quite frankly, overproduced garbage.  Therefore, this should be an easy task to determine what I want to collect (and what I want to give up on).

I was only four years old in 1986 (actually I turned four in November of 1986 and so nothing from the year will have any sentimental value to me).  Furthermore, since '86 was smack in the era of overproduced cards, I don't think there's much "value" to be had (no matter how you define value in terms of baseball cards).  Even so, there's hope that I might discover a gem or two in this pile!

The first three sets of scans are all the "mini" cards that I own from 1986.  None of those sets are worth collecting in my eye...though a few of those cards do have a chance to make my Frankenset (whenever I get around to that project)!

The mid-80s were also fairly ripe with oddball releases.  In general, I don't bother collecting oddballs (except for Barry Larkin cards of course).  Therefore, while the Drake's card above is delightfully miscut and cheesy, I won't be chasing the set.  Nor will I be chasing the KayBee set (though 1986 four year old me does miss the days of going into KayBee toy stores in the mall)!

The above smattering of cards represents a variety of other inserts and small sets that I won't be bothering to collect as well.  I don't have much to say about those except there are a couple of cards that have a shot to make it in my Frankenset.

A few other sets from 1986 that I didn't bother showing because everyone's seen plenty of them include Sportflics, Donruss, Fleer, O-Pee-Chee, and Fleer Star Stickers.

That leaves us with one final set...and it's the only set that I'm going to complete.  In fact, I've already completed the set:  1986 Topps.

The '86 Topps design is not one of my favorite designs...but there are a smattering of interesting cards lurking within the set.  The Eric Davis card, for instance, isn't anything particularly special and yet i still like it quite a bit (maybe it's all the empty seats in the background).

I have to admit, it feels good to say that I'm only going to keep a single set from the year 1986.  I kind of wish I had that I had that type of self control for some of the later years!  I hope you enjoyed my look at 1986 - and hopefully I'll have another year's worth of cards to look at in the not-so-distant future!

Comments