Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Collection 484: 1998 Fleer Sports Illustrated - #8 - Opening Day Mini Poster

Barry Larkin
Year:  1998
Brand:  Fleer Sports Illustrated
Insert set:  Opening Day Mini Poster
Card number:  8

The 1998 Fleer Sports Illustrated set continued the trend started in the 1997 edition of the brand where Fleer would include a mini poster in every pack.  However, unlike in 1997, the 1998 set has a single poster for every team (which is a good thing)!  Each team's poster features a star player from the team next to the full team schedule for the 1998 season.

For my money, I like the concept of this set better than the 1997 edition (which was basically mini posters of "great shots" of star players in the league).  As a Reds' fan, I'm used to my team being left out of insert sets - so having a set like this include all of the 30 MLB teams is a benefit in my eyes.  I will say that the photo selection for Larkin's poster could have better...after all, who is that tugging on Larkin's jersey?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Still this is a pretty neat "oddball" addition to my Barry Larkin Collection - and I fully admit as a kid I loved these mini posters!  Maybe Topps should re-introduce the idea in one of its sets next year.

Comments