Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

30DayBBCChallenge: Day 12: The Biggest Machine of Them All.

Welcome to Day 12 of the 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge (henceforth the 30DayBBCChallenge).  Today's topic:

One of your favorite cards from the 1980s.

The 1980s are an important decade in my life.  For starters, it is the decade that I was born in.  Second, it's the decade that I started actively collecting baseball cards (or at least, collecting the cards that my father bought me).  And third, the 80s were the lead-in to the 1990 wire-to-wire World Champion Reds...the only time my team has won the World Series in my lifetime (and I was barely old enough to remember any of it).

However, today's favorite card isn't a card that looks forward to the Reds' team of 1990.  No, instead it is a card that actively looks back at one of the all-time best teams ever (not just best Reds team, but any team).  That would be, of course, the Big Red Machine.

This is a 1982 Fleer card - and it celebrates the Big Red Machine of 1981...the team that had the best won-lost percentage in 1981 but wasn't allowed in the playoffs because of the strike (and the silly rules that were put into place because of said strike).  I don't think the '81 team can compare to the Reds of the mid-70s (the "real" Big Red Machine) but still, Foster, Concepcion, and Driessen isn't a bad combination to build a team around.

And for future reference, here is the full list of topics:

Comments

  1. 1981 still gets me mad. The Reds deserved to be in the playoffs, not the Dodgers, and the Brewers deserved to be in the ALCS -- not the Yankees. Instead, the Dodgers and Yankees end up in the World Series.

    It did teach me, though, that life isn't fair and that the Yankees always suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how seeing a card can stir up memories. When I was a kid, I pulled this card and put it into my favorite cards binder. I'm pretty sure I put it right next to my Pete and Re-Pete card.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment