Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

30DayBBCChallenge: Day 16: Love Him or Hate Him.

The prompt for today's 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge is supposed to be:

A card of a player whom you appreciate but don't like

Now, I imagine I am supposed to pick a player that I respect but don't like.  I'm putting a slight twist on the prompt to instead write about:

A card that I like of a player that I don't care for

That's because the first time I read the prompt, that's how I read it internally...and when I did that, I instantly knew which card to feature.  On the other hand, reading the prompt "correctly" left me feeling empty as to which card I would show off...so let's go with the sure thing!

That's a 1996 Upper Deck Collector's Choice card of Alex Rodriguez.  I don't care for A-Rod at all (though I have to admit, he was quite good as a baseball analyst on TV last postseason).  However, as a player he seemed like a Type-1 douche bag.  That all said, I happen to LOVE this simple base card of A-rod's.  The entire packed stadium, the neat image, the team colors.  It all comes together for me to be a perfectly pleasing baseball card.

Side note:  If I had more time, I'd try doing some measurements to see if the Golden Ratio is present in this card.  As a mathematician, I know that the Golden Ratio is supposed to be the most pleasing ratio to the human eye (people say that the Last Supper, the Mona Lisa, and plenty of other famous works use the Golden Ratio throughout).  I say that some of that is nonsense (or possibly accidental) but it is still interesting.  Whether or not that Golden Ratio is in play here is an exploration for another day - for today I'll simply admire this card of a player I don't like.

Here are the rest of the prompts for the challenge...I'm over halfway to 30 now!

Comments

  1. "I say that some of that is nonsense..."

    The Golden Ratio is BS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think I've ever taken the time to appreciate this card... but you're right, it's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment