Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 529: 2017 Topps - #87-182 - 1987 Topps Rookie and All-Star Edition insert

Barry Larkin
Year:  2017
Brand:  Topps
Insert set:  1987 Topps Rookie and All-Star Edition
Card number:  87-182

I participated in a group break of a 2017 Topps Series 2 box hosted by Peter over at Baseball Every Night.  I obviously claimed the Reds, and while they didn't do particularly well in the break (10 cards in total, 9 of which were "plain" base cards), it was the tenth card that made the whole thing worthwhile for me.  You can guess it - it's the Larkin you see scanned near the top of this post.

From what I can tell online, Barry Larkin has four different "regular" cards in 2017 Topps Series 2 (plus even more cards in Series 1).  Besides the card I landed from the group break, there is also a Larkin in the following sets:

  • All-Time All-Stars (retail only)
  • All-Time All-Stars Autographs (also retail only)
  • MLB All-Star Game Commemorative Logo Patch (jumbo/hobby only)

Note:  There are three parallels of this card out there as well:  Gold #/75, Black #/50, and Platinum #/1.

  • 1987 Topps Rookie and All-Star Edition

Note:  There are two parallels of this card out there:  Red #/25 and Platinum #/1.

So, in summary.  If I were to collect all of the Barry Larkin cards just from 2017 Topps Series 2, I would need to track down four different inserts, two of which you can only get in retail packs and one of which you can only find in jumbo hobby boxes (while the fourth card is the most common and can be found anywhere...which is the only card I own).  In addition, I'd need to track down another five parallels including a pair of 1/1s and then a card numbered out of 75, 50, and 25.  I simply don't see that happening...heck, I may not land any of the other Larkin cards from Series 2 since I have no plans to buy any packs...

I guess the moral of this story is to enjoy what I have and be thankful!  So, thanks to Peter for making it so I have at least one 2017 Barry Larkin card for my collection...and for the 529th different Larkin card that I own to date!


Comments