Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Collection 559: 1996 Topps Stadium Club Members Only - #20

Barry Larkin
Year:  1996
Brand:  Topps Stadium Club Members Only
Card number:  20

The 1996 Topps Stadium Club Members Only set was a standalone set that featured 50 different players.  I never heard of this set until I acquired the Barry Larkin card...and since there is only one other Red in the set (Reggie Sanders) I don't see myself ever chasing the full set.  However, I am happy to have the Barry Larkin card in my possession as it is rather nice.

The front of the card has some funky fonts (typical of the mid-90s) but it also has a team logo and a decent photograph of Barry.  The backside of the card has a nice write-up, although it does say that Larkin's stats from his 1995 MVP year were "underwhelming."  Despite that, the rest of the write-up lays the praise on Larkin thick and heavy...as he undoubtedly deserved at the time.  This ends up being a nice card from an otherwise forgettable set (can you actually call a set you didn't know existed "forgettable" though)?  I'm happy to have it in my collection.

Comments

  1. Maybe they seem "underwhelming" because it was a strike-shortened year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment