Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 584: 1998 Donruss - #394

Barry Larkin
Year:  1998
Brand:  Donruss
Card number:  394

The 1998 Donruss set was a set that completely passed me by back in the day.  I have no recollection of ever seeing packs of the stuff for sale, nor do I remember ever stumbling across a '98 Donruss card.  Based on this particular Barry Larkin card, I didn't miss much!

The front of the card features a fairly terrible photo of Larkin alng with way too many stars in the card design.  The back of the card has a nice enough (short) write-up but the design itself still has way too many stars...not to mention a distracting "player vitals" ticker at the top of the card.  Add in the somewhat tough to read card number and you have yourself a poorly designed baseball card.

The "Spirit of the Game" was a fairly large subset within the 1998 Donruss set but I have no desire to try and track down any of the other cards...this one ugly Larkin is enough for me.  I do want the other 3 Barry Larkin cards in the set (plus any and all Larkin parallels) but I'd be lying if I said that I was going to focus on acquiring 1998 Donruss Larkin cards first.  No, I think this set can wait.

Comments