Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 610: 1999 Upper Deck Ovation - #21

Barry Larkin
Year:  1999
Brand:   Upper Deck Ovation
Card number:  21

I know that there are many collectors out there who really miss Upper Deck.  That makes sense because Upper Deck undoubtedly did release a number of great sets (I, for one, loved the late 90s Collector's Choice sets as well as the UD Retro sets for example).  Fortunately for Upper Deck, that's how most collectors probably remember the company...for those sets that were personal favorites of ours. 

What we don't necessary remember are all of the uninspired clunkers that Upper Deck released over the years.  Looking through my Barry Larkin binder, there are a ton of different Upper Deck sets that all blend together into a single (foil) mess.  Upper Deck Ovation is one of those set "misses" for me.  I appreciate the somewhat interesting front design (minus the foil at the bottom) but this set suffers from what many, many Upper Decks suffer from:  an abysmal card back.  Gray.  One year of stats.   virtually unreadable bit of text.  A recycled photo from the front of the card.  And did I mention all the gray?!  Yeah, this one is a card that I'm glad to have in my Larkin binder but I won't be chasing after the Ovation set, ever.  The only other card that I want from this set is the Standing Ovation parallel of Larkin's (which is numbered out of 500).  After that, good riddance to this set.


Comments