Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Delivery Time: Some More Original 1889 Allen & Ginter Cards!

I've been perusing eBay quite a bit during my night shift with the 6-week-old baby...and once in awhile I allow myself to actually buy something from the site.  About a week ago, I found a seller who listed a bunch of original Allen & Ginter cards from the late 1800s.  Among those listings were not one, but two of the remaining cards that I needed for my 1889 Allen & Ginter 50 Fish from American Waters set that I've been working on for years now.
The collector's book cover for the set.  I bought a copy of this book awhile back to help complete my collection!

I may have paid a bit more than I would have liked - but when you are down to needing only four cards to complete the set, beggars can't afford to be choosers!  Thanks to the eBay find, I'm now only missing two more cards from the set - something that amazes me to even type seeing as how the set is nearly 130 years old!!

Going alphabetically for no real reason at all, the first fish that I managed to catch (pun intended) was the blue fish.

I love the printing on the cards...the metallic shimmer really does make the fish come alive on the cardboard.  I don't think it shows up as well in scans so you'll have to take my word for it I guess.

The other fish that I landed was the Rock Blackfish.

All things considered, both cards are in decent enough shape for me - certainly better than some of the other cards in my set!

Thanks to a free shipping option on other bids, I also bought two other original Allen & Ginter cards...but those will have to wait for another day to be shown on the blog.  I have lots of checklists and want lists to update now that I've located two more of the fish cards!

Comments

  1. I need to get myself one of those cards someday. I need an older card in my collection

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being so close to finishing your set! I've still got almost half the checklist to go on my Prize & Game Chickens set build.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cards! And that collector's book is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish!

    Also these are beauties and I'm going to have to remember to look for something from this set at some point.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment