Featured Post

Delivery Time! Baseball Card Breakdown Doesn't Give Me an A

Thanks to an unwanted autograph that I pulled from this year's A&G set, I was able to swing a quick trade/sale with Gavin over at Baseball Card Breakdown.  Gavin acquired my framed autographed Tommy Wiseau card in exchange for some cash and a pair of Barry Larkin cards.

Before I show the two Larkins off, I have to comment on Gavin's blog entry about our trade.  In it, he graded our swap (more accurately, he graded my packing job).  What grade did I get?  Only a B+.  While I'd love to channel my students' attempts and ask for extra credit, I'll actually only say that I love that Gavin had the cajones to be even a little critical on his blog.

In today's day and age, it is obvious that many of us cannot handle any sort of criticism (don't even get me started on how students have to be given so many chances to succeed, failure isn't much of an option, etc.).  As for me, I actually seek out criticism like some sort of possessed, self-destructive demon.  Luckily (?) for me, in my profession I get critiqued by my students in all of my classes at the end of every semester so there is never much shortage of critical feedback for me to consider.  At least Gavin's feedback came during the summer when I'm dealing with students!

Alright, so I took Gavin's criticism with a smile...but more importantly for me, I also have two Larkins from Gavin to show off.  Unfortunately, one of those Larkin cards most definitely does NOT make me smile...I'll get to that in a second.

First though, let's take a quick gander at this monstrosity.

That is a Score Summit Nth degree parallel (I already had the regular base card from the set but I needed this parallel).  I say "needed" only in the sense that I didn't already own it...but really, does anyone need cards that look like this?!  I didn't think so.

While the previous card isn't the nicest looking card in the world, it was the second Larkin card that actually made me mad.  See if you can figure out why.

...

...

...

...

Did you spot it?

Yeah, it says "Cardinals" next to Larkin's name in the team spot.  Freaking Cardinals.  That'd be like putting Red Sox next to Derek Jeter - or Yankees next to Big Papi.  Not cool, Donruss.  No wonder you went out of business.

The card is numbered 2602/3500 on the back...and while that's cool and all (I don't own that many serially numbered Larkin cards), I still can't forgive the "Cardinals" team designation on the front!

Thanks for the trade (and the packing grade) Gavin!

Comments

  1. Sure thing! Hey, I don't think the Score Summit Nth degree parallel is all that bad.. nice n' shiny. But yeah, I knew that "Cardinals" card would get under your skin, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know the "C" word was going to be on that card?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cardinals? Ouch. There's a gut punch for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment