Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 622: 1998 Topps Tek - #57 - Pattern 22

Barry Larkin
Year:  1998
Brand:  Topps Tek
Card number:  57
Pattern number:  22

The 1998 Topps Tek is a player collector's nightmare.  Each base card has 90 (!) different variations to collect...and then each of those 90 variations also has a diffractor version (of which a print run has been estimated to be somewhere between only 10 and 20 copies). 

Over the past few months, I managed to grab a few of Larkin's different Tek cards from eBay sales - with this being the first one that I've shown off in my ongoing Barry Larkin Collection.  Besides this card, I also bought three other patterns for Larkin - so as of the time of this post I have 4 out of the 90 base versions.  I don't think I'll be chasing after the diffractors (too low of a print run for my wallet) but even so, tracking down all 90 patterns is surely going to be a difficult challenge as it is!

As for this particular card, I have to admit that I'm not happy with the condition that it is in.  The scan you see above doesn't make it clear (nor did the scan in the eBay auction) but the is a lot of plastic "paper" coming loose at the top of the card (where it looks sort of cloudy in the scan).  The card is also a bit yellowed, probably from someone leaving it exposed to things like sunlight.  Luckily for me, the other three cards that I bought were from different sellers and those three cards are in much better shape.  I don't think I'm at the point in my '98 Tek collection where I will actively look to upgrade cards...but then again, if I find a more pristine copy of this particular Larkin card I will probably buy it only because the yellowing and fraying truly bugs me on what should be a pretty cool card otherwise.


Comments

Post a Comment