Featured Post

A TCDB Mailbag on One of the Best Mondays of the Year!

Gint-a-Cuffs: Pack 23: It's Almost Over...but Wait - What in the World is this Mini?

Today's second-to-last pack in the box holds the most confusing card of the entire box (at least to me).  When I opened up the pack originally, I had no idea what the card was...or who it was depicting.  In fact, I didn't understand a single thing about the card! 

Now I have some answers at least, but first, let's look at the entire pack's contents.

Box total so far:  96 points (plus box topper TBD):

Pack 23:
27.  Sean Manaea
39.  Trea Turner
165.  Ben Zobrist
173.  Nolan Arenado
244.  Orlando Arcia
319.  Harrison Bader
Baseball Equipment of the Ages:  BEA-17.  Baseball Donut (+2 points)
Unannounced mini:  MS-2.  Benjamin Geaux-Homme  (?? points)

Pack total:  2 points (plus MS mini?)
Box total so far:  98 points (plus box topper and MS mini)

Until I know what the mini is worth in terms of points, I can't really comment on the overall success of that pack.  Assuming the mini is worth at least a couple of points, this would at least push me over the 100 point threshold which was my original target goal.  I still have one pack remaining - and it holds my third and final hit.  However, before we get to the final pack let's talk a moment about that mini card.

It turns out that Mr. Geaux-Homme was "signed" by the Asbury Park Football Club back on May 24, 2017.  If you don't believe that, you can verify my story via the club's Twitter feed.  The only problem with this?  Asbury Park Football Club is a fake soccer team, with a fake stadium (which just so happens to have a very real card in this year's base Allen & Ginter set).  The other two cards in the unannounced mini set are also related to the fake soccer club (or at least I think so - I don't either of the other two cards myself).

Kind of a fun gag by Topps to include the Asbury Park stuff - and if you are interested, I found this article that describes the entire enterprise.

And with that, we are down to one pack remaining.  See you soon for the thrilling (?) conclusion of this year's Gint-a-Cuffs box.

Comments

  1. I was doing some reading on the Asbury Park FC while researching it due to this set. I got a good chuckle out of it. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waittttt, Benjamin Go Home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just pulled the Dennis the Rash mini. He was supposedly a Viking who leapt off the boat as the first European on North American soil that chased a troll into what turned out to be a bear cave and was never seen again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fake soccer is more interesting than real soccer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment