Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 636: 2001 Donruss Studio - #43

Barry Larkin
Year:  2001
Brand:  Donruss Studio
Card number:  43

The 2001 Donruss Studio set was a set that I don't recall ever seeing out "in the wild" back in the day.  From what I can tell based on the one 2001 Studio card that I own (shown above), the set is reminiscent of Studio sets of old but with the typical Donruss layer of boredom added to each card.  Seriously though, what was with Donruss making such boring cards around this time in history?!

Besides the Larkin base that I own, there is one parallel of this card - a Proof parallel that is numbered out of only 25.  I decided awhile ago that while I won't turn down any Larkin cards numbered to 25 or less, I also don't feel compelled to chase cards that are that rare (especially since so many of those so-called rare cards are really just pointless parallels of boring base cards anyhow). 

Switching back to the card at hand, mama always taught me that if I don't have anything nice to say, I should say anything at all.  And since I've railed on Donruss for a bit already, let's try to find something positive to say.

How about this:  the write-up on the back of the card is decent.

Ugh.  That was tough, there isn't much to love about a boring base card with a single line of statistics on the backside coupled with way too much white space (and somehow, the back still looks cluttered).  This is a straight up lesson on how to not design cards boys and girls, take note. 

Comments