Featured Post

30 Teams in 30 Posts: #13

I'm ranking all 30 of the MLB teams in order of how much I like them at this moment in time.  As with most countdowns, I'm starting with the worst (Cardinals) and I'll eventually end up with the best (Reds).  The real question now is:  Where will the other MLB teams land in my countdown?

With all the Bryce Harper drama in the news lately, today is a perfect time to look at team #13 in my MLB Countdown of all 30 teams.

#13:  Philadelphia Phillies
Image source: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26069009/winners-losers-harper-330-million-phillies-deal

Yes, the Phillies thoroughly embarrassed my Reds in the postseason not all that long ago (hello no hitter).  That alone is enough to keep them out of my top 10.  However, I am a Pennsylvania guy so I do have some (sort of) local ties to Philly.  I say sort of because I live in the upper middle part of the state, basically 15 minutes or so from the New York border.  I'm really barely closer to Philly than I am to Pittsburgh or even places like Washington, Baltimore, or Toronto.  I definitely don't have a local team (and my local TV stations all come out of New York state so it's all Mets and Yankees, blech).

Anyhow, back to Philadelphia.  The Phillies have historically had a number of guys that I didn't mind rooting for - and the Phillies stadium is a nice enough place to catch a ball game.  In fact, I enjoyed watching guys like Ryan Howard crush baseballs - and while the Phillies did beat the Reds in the playoffs, I did find myself rooting for Philadelphia against virtually every other NL team at the time. 

I also have to admit that I get some sort of rather sick kick out of Philly fans.  They are so fair-weather that I find it hilarious.  I mean, one minute you are booing Santa Claus and the next you are proclaiming the ex-National Bryce Harper will be the city's savior in baseball.  I'm guessing the Harper honeymoon doesn't last past June, but at least the explosion of the fan base will be fun to watch.  Philly fans really are cray cray after all.

My list of favorite MLB teams (from worst to first):
#30:  St. Louis Cardinals
#29:  New York Yankees
#28:  San Francisco Giants
#27:  Washington Nationals
#26:  Boston Red Sox
#25:  Chicago Cubs
#24:  Atlanta Braves
#23:  Los Angeles Dodgers
#22:  Milwaukee Brewers
#21:  Miami Marlins
#20:  San Diego Padres
#19:  Arizona Diamondbacks
#18:  Texas Rangers
#17:  Los Angeles Angels
#16:  Kansas City Royals
#15:  Minnesota Twins
#14:  Oakland Athletics
#13:  Philadelphia Phillies
to be continued...

Comments

  1. I liked the Phillies back in the day when they had Steve Carlton, Pete Rose, Lonnie Smith, Bake McBride, and Garry Maddox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Phillies teams had Daulton, Dave Hollins and Lenny Dykstra. Talk about some grinders.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment