Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 662: 2001 Upper Deck - #253

Barry Larkin
Year:  2001
Brand:  Upper Deck
Card number:  253

The 2001 Upper Deck set is perfectly adequate set that doesn't seem to get much love anymore.  I don't own many cards from the set, but I'm fairly certain that this Larkin isn't the best indication of the set's overall photo quality (the image used for Larkin is quite poor since you can't see his face, his name plate, or even what the action was).  I also don't like the slightly blurry aspect of the baseball, nor do I care for Larkin's foot being "chopped off" by the logo box in the bottom corner of the card.  In short, this is a sloppily designed, photographed, and cropped card. 

The back of the card, however, is fine though I must say that "fine" isn't enough to save the front of the card.  The head shot, the tiny team logo, and the full career stats are all appreciated.  Heck, even the write-up at the top of the card is well done given how little space there was to work with.  On the other hand, what's with all the white space at the bottom of the card?

From what I can tell, this card does have a pair of parallels - one called UD Exclusives Silver (#/100) and the other UD Exclusives Gold (#25).  I don't (yet?) own either and truth be told, I'm not actively searching for either of the parallels since the base card itself lacks any sort of inspiration.

Comments