Featured Post

Not Buying New Product = Hard to Find Things to Blog About!

I haven't had a lot to blog about recently which is in no small part due to the fact that I have yet to buy any 2019 baseball card product.  That said, I am still working hard on completing some of the many sets from previous years that are lurking on my want list.

I'm also going to be adding two new sets to my want list soon.  Well, "new" in the sense that they will be new additions, but they won't actually be current sets.  No, the two sets in question are 1992 Topps and 1992 Upper Deck.  As you may have seen over the past couple of days, I did nab myself an unopened box of '92 UD which I'm going to rip first prior to posting my want list.  I may end up doing something similar with '92 Topps as well, though I have a lot more of those cards so it might not be worth buying a box.  No matter, let's worry about Upper Deck first, shall we?

I've ripped 6 packs already, here are the highlights from the next three packs out of the box.

Pack 7:
356.  Don Mattingly

Admittedly, this isn't exactly an amazing photograph but for whatever reason it ended up catching my eye as I thumbed through the seventh pack out of the box.  I do like the script team names on the cards, many of which have extra flourishes (such as the bat in the word "Yankees").

Pack 8:
83.  Chris & Tony Gwynn

The 1992 Upper Deck set has a few different subsets including the awesome "Bloodlines" set.  I like everything about this card - from the featured players to the stadium (and 76 advertisement) in the background and even the twilight timing of the photograph.

Pack 9:
663.  Joe Slusarski

I had never heard of Slusarski prior to opening up this pack of cards.  That's another fun thing with older sets - you might discover guys who otherwise would remain unknown forever (at least to me)!  I kind of like the forlorn look that Joe is giving the game of baseball...too bad it's appropriate for a guy who ended up with a 13-21 pitching record, a 5.18 career ERA, and an overall WAR of -0.3.  Ouch!

I'm enjoying that box rip thus far!  It is interesting to note (at least to me) that through nine packs I have yet to find a card numbered 1-49.  As I rip the packs, I semi-sort them into stacks based on intervals of 50.  That is, I have a pile for cards 100-149, 150-199, etc.  At the moment, my pile for 1-49 is still completely empty...hopefully that starts to fill up before long or else my want list definitely going to be lengthy!


Comments

  1. I'm doing the same thing this year. I haven't purchased any 2019 packs yet and I'm trying to knock off some older sets. And, I'm having a good time doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Gwynn brothers is a nice card. And I totally remember Slusarski from back in the early 90's... but I watched a lot of A's games back then.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment