Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 671: 2001 Upper Deck Ovation - #58

Barry Larkin
Year:  2001
Brand:  Upper Deck Ovation
Card number:  58

Nowadays, people are once again clamoring for a second brand (such as Upper Deck) to start making licensed baseball cards.  While that sounds like a good idea at first blush, a quick look at some of the dreadfully dull sets from the early 2000s should temper one's enthusiasm for what Upper Deck can do.

The 2001 Upper Deck Ovation set basically is a Fleer-knockoff in my mind.  The design looks to be straight out of Fleer's playbook, but without the interesting inserts and relics to round out the set.  While I'm happy to have another Barry Larkin card in my collection, I'm even happier to report that Barry only appeared once in this stupid set and so I'm done with the set in terms of my collecting goals! 

Comments