Featured Post

Box Break: Heading back to 2018...

Last week, I spent a good chunk of time putting more of my piles of cards sitting on my desk away in binder pages.  Of course, halfway through putting one of my sets away I ran out nice 9-pocket pages.  Luckily, Dave and Adams sells pages and they ship quickly so I placed my order for three more boxes...and because I hate paying for shipping, I added in a box of 2018 Panini Donruss to my order so that I was above the threshold for free shipping.  Well, that and I wanted to open cards but only from sets that I'm currently working on and only 2018 Panini Donruss fit the bill!

The box has 24 packs with 8 cards per pack and I need a whole bunch of base cards from the set.  In fact, here's what my want list looks like at the moment before I start digging into the box:
2018 Panini Donruss Wants:Base (regular base, not variations):  53, 74, 75, 80, 107, 132, 133, 158, 173, 201, 211, 212, 224, 233, 243, 245, 252, 254, 262, 264, 268, 270
Obviously, I'm hoping to knock most if not all of those base cards off my want list once and for all with the box.  It'd be extra sweet if I could find some of the Barry Larkin parallels in the box as well but I won't get greedy - base cards are the goal here!

Without further ado, let's rip some packs!

Pack 1:

For cards 59 - 200, a solid black baseball on the backside of the card indicates that the card is a variation, however, to make it more confusing from cards 227 - 256, a white baseball on the backside indicates a variation card.  From what I recall of the set, variations and "regular" base cards were seeded roughly equally - for this first pack as an example I pulled 3 variations out of the eight total cards in the pack.  If nothing else, it's safe to say that the variations aren't rare.  I've actually completed the entire 50 card variation set so all that's left for me to do is track down the "regular" base card for a few cards and I'll have this set completed!

Pack 1 offered up nothing of interest for me...no inserts, no parallels, and no base cards that I needed.

Pack 2:

Ugh.  O-for-2 through two packs.

Pack 3:

Finally, a base card that I actually needed!  This card also illustrates one of the biggest problems that Panini constantly has to overcome with its card design and photo choice:  no logos!  Can you even tell who the two players are in the photo?

Answer?  Clint Frazier and Aaron Judge.  With no logos and only half of one player's face visible, I think this was a poor photo choice by Panini.

Pack 4:

No new cards for me but I did get my first numbered parallel out of the box.

Yeah, yet another Dodger parallel for me (#/305).  I distinctly remember when I opened up a couple of boxes of this stuff last year it seemed like all I pulled was Dodgers (in terms of my hits and parallels).  I see that streak is continuing over a year later.

Pack 5:

Alright, now Panini is just messing with me.  This pack had two exact copies of the same Jose Altuve card in it AND two exact copies of the same Miguel Andujar card.  Not cool.  On the bright side, I did get my second serially numbered card of the box and it's a doozy:

That's a sweet Mike Trout card #/999.  Not incredibly rare but nice nonetheless.

Pack 6:

For set purposes, this is the best pack out of the box so far - I ended up landing two different cards that I needed including a sweet Altuve/Correra card (in this case, I think the photo works very well even without logos).  It's hard to believe I actually still needed a Dodger's card from this set but I did...Bellinger is all mine now though.

That does it for the first quarter of the box.  Although not my primary interest in the set, it is worth nothing that there should be three hits in this box.  Nothing on that front so far but that's alright, I'm more interested in getting new base cards for my set!

Comments