Featured Post

Capturing an Elusive Card (or Which Common Card is Eluding You?)

As a set collector, it's always interesting to see which card is the final card that I need for a given set.  Usually, as you'd probably guess, that last card to track down is a card of a star player.  For example, at the moment I'm only one card away from completing the 2008 Upper Deck Timelines set and that missing card is #336 Evan Longoria while the last base card that I needed for my 1999 Pacific Private Stock was Tony Gwynn (a card I recently acquired but more on that in a future post)!

But sometimes, the last card that I need for a given set isn't a star player - and those particular cards are the most interesting to me because it makes me wonder why the stars aligned in such a way that a card of some common card became so elusive.  I'm guessing many set collectors out there feel the same way - and perhaps you even remember a certain "scrub" player that proved to be way too elusive?

Other times, the last card that I need for a set isn't a player at all...or at least not in this case since the set I'm referring to at the moment is the 2015 Upper Deck Dinosaurs set.

I've mentioned this set a number of times on my blog since I've busted a few boxes already and done a bunch of trading (and COMC buying) of cards from the set.  Through all of that though, there was still one base card that kept eluding me.  In fact, it was so elusive that every time I checked COMC the base card wasn't even listed (one time I mistakenly bought a parallel of the card but that will never do)!

It may have taken way too long, but thanks to a large eBay purchase (more on the rest of the cards in a future post), I finally have the last common base card for my 2015 UD Dinosaurs set.  Behold, the ferocious Spinosaurus!

According to the card back, Spinosaurus may have been the largest carnivore to ever live (50 feet long, 23 feet tall)!

Card #12 in the set had been taunting me for way too long on my want list and now I can finally say I've completed the entire base set.  Unfortunately for me, I still have quite a few short prints to track down (Upper Deck made the set tiered with various rarities which has proven to make collecting tricky since it appears that not a lot of people bought the cards to trade)!

The eBay seller that I bought this card from ended up having a fair number of cards that I needed for my various sets so I actually ended up buying another 11 cards that I'll be sure to show off in a future post!  For now though, if you happen to want to trade be sure to check out my want list and help me eliminate some more "most wanted" cards!

Comments

  1. Oh yes, I think we’ve all been there. When I was putting together a complete set of 2013 Topps Chrome Blue parallels, I had 219 of the 220 cards for about a year. Finally the Madison Bumgarner popped up on an eBay saved search. I probably purchased it 45 seconds after it was listed by the seller.

    This time around, I’m waiting for a Kyle Freeland card to pop up to complete my Rookie set of 2017 Topps Chrome Purple Parallels.

    Oh, and I have that Longoria. Email me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started keeping track of the last card added to complete a set. I share that in my end of year set wrap up on my blog. It's kind of fun to see what is the final piece of each puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certain ones I remember, like 1979 Topps football - Shafer Suggs of the Jets in a solid airbrushed helmet, 1974 Topps baseball Jack Billingham of the Reds. But the most memorable one is my buddy's last guy for the oversize Upper Deck 40-Man set, Micah Bowie.

    Now we say "Who is going to be your Micah Bowie for this set?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. the last 1993 Upper Deck card i need is the checklist card with Roger Clemens in the background and it's in this weird limbo between star card and worthless checklist card and i can't find the dang thing anywhere
    i keep looking in Roger Clemens boxes but never find it and i'm not desperate enough to spend two bucks to buy it online

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you have to order business cards on the internet that are good quality and inexpensive, have a peek at our discount business cards! To get more detailed info on Printing Shop Singapore , visit on hyperlinked site.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment