Featured Post

Completing my 37th Set this Year (and then some!)

A couple of days ago, I showed off the first card from a recent eBay purchase which happened to be an elusive dinosaur base card for my 2015 Upper Deck Dinosaurs set.  That same seller that had the dino card also had a bunch of other cards that I needed so I ended up placing a larger order than I had originally intended!  Today, let's take a look at what else I ended up buying!

First up, the biggest lot of cards from a single set - four of the 2018 Allen & Ginter Baseball Equipment of the Ages set.

Thanks to these cards four now safely tucked away in my binder, I'm now only missing one more card before I'll be able to call this inset set complete (card #26:  Radar Gun).

Sticking with 2018 Ginter theme but moving to the minis, I decided to grab one more of the Baseball Superstitions minis despite the fact that I'm not at close to completing this set at the moment (I still need: MBS- 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15).

My original goal was to only buy cards that would actually complete (or nearly complete) sets but I broke my own rules slightly with this purchase!  Luckily, other than this one mini I stayed true to my goals.

Speaking of sets that I actually finished off, we stay with minis but move back to 2017 A&G with the World's Dudes mini set.  I've needed these two Dudes forever but now they are mine, mine, mine!

The Artist Dude and American Football Dude were the last two Dudes that I needed so this marks my 35th set completed in 2019 (but we aren't done yet)!  Another mini set that I was able to finish off from 2017 Ginter was the Required Reading set.

That's the card for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, a book that I've never actually read.  In fact, I had no idea even how old the book was (written in 1870 according to the card back).  I would have been off by over 50 years I think if you had asked me what year the book was written prior to me reading the back of the card.

I've now completed all of the 2017 Allen & Ginter set except for the full Horse in the Race mini set which is pretty good progress since I decided to chase after virtually every insert set in 2017 Ginter!

In addition to everything shown already, I did get some help with a couple of older sets as well.  Nothing from the 1800s, but I'll take getting one card closer to completing the 2000 Fleer Club 3000 Die-Cut set.

The Club 3000 cards were seeded across a variety of Fleer brands in the year 2000.  Lou Brock happened to be found only in Fleer Showcase packs.  I'm still missing one more Club 3000 card from the Showcase brand (Nolan Ryan).  The rest of the set that I need is from the Fleer Mystique brand (Gibson, Ripken, Jr., and Winfield).

And finally, the last of the purchase - the final two cards that I needed for my 1998 Pacific Private Stock set.

With that set complete, I've now managed to finish off 37 sets from my want list in 2019.  That is incredible progress towards my goal of getting my want list whittled down to under 100 different sets by the end of 2019.  Even better than that, there are a couple more sets that I should have completed by the time 2019 ends, I'm simply waiting for the cards to arrive in the mail (hopefully I'll be able to show them off soon)!

For now though, I'm content with my latest card purchase...  Certainly an eclectic bunch of cards but that describes my collection perfectly!

Comments

  1. Wow. 37 sets? That's flippin' awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 37 sets?!? I better get to work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment