Featured Post

30 MLB Teams in 30 Posts: #7

We head out west for the penultimate time in my 2020 MLB team rankings.

#7:  Arizona Diamondbacks (2019 rank:  #19)
This particular card came so close to making it into my non-Reds Frankenset but since it didn't it can now be yours if you win my contest!  Johnson was the last player that I got an in person autograph from, you can check my blog archives for the full story of how that happened.

The Diamondbacks ended up as my highest rated National League team from the west and ended up jumping way up in my standings from 2019.  For whatever reason, I find the Diamondbacks to be a rather interesting team in that it seems like they are always trying something.  It doesn't always work, but I feel like if I were a D-backs fan I'd generally be happy year in and year out since the team usually appears to be trying to win.  That's more than I can say about a lot of franchises (including my Reds for a number of years lately).

The Diamondbacks also get a bit of a boost in my rankings because of who they play so often (teams #27, 18, 16, and 14 in my rankings).  If you play 75% of your divisional games against teams in the bottom half of my rankings, there's an awful good chance that I'll be rooting for that team a lot!  The D-backs can basically count on my fandom this year.

Next time on the countdown we head back to the American League.  I've got to give more vague clues since there are so few remaining options to guess!

2020 Rankings:
#30:  New York Yankees
#29:  Boston Red Sox
#28:  St. Louis Cardinals
#27:  San Francisco Giants
#26:  Washington Nationals
#25:  Miami Marlins
#24:  Chicago Cubs
#23:  Milwaukee Brewers
#22:  Houston Astros
#21:  Pittsburgh Pirates
#20:  Atlanta Braves
#19:  Los Angeles Angels
#18:  Los Angeles Dodgers
#17:  Texas Rangers
#16:  San Diego Padres
#15:  Baltimore Orioles
#14:  Colorado Rockies
#13:  Kansas City Royals
#12:  Toronto Blue Jays
#11:  Oakland Athletics
#10:  Chicago White Sox
#9:  Minnesota Twins
#8:  Philadelphia Phillies
#7:  Arizona Diamondbacks
#6:  ??

Contest entries to date (see here for details):
25  John Sharp
25  P-Town Tom
18  bbcardz
16 hockey kazi
29  Brett Alan
21 Fuji
1  acrackedbat
1  Wilson
24 Matt
2 Trevor P.
1 friend11
1 Adam Kaningher
1 CrazieJoe
1 Brian
1 OhioTim

Comments

  1. Cheered on the D-Backs vs the Yankees in 2001, probably the only time I really payed attention to the team until Paul Goldschmidt got there.

    Now, well, I'm thinking with the addition of Bumgarner, I might pay more attention.

    Tigers are next, or, on the Top 5?

    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Diamondbacks are definitely a team to watch out for this season. Amazingly, my Dodgers don't play Arizona (a divisional rival) until the middle of June.

    I'm figuring we'll see Tampa Bay next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any team with Randy Johnson on it was automatically in my Top 5. AZ doesn't really move the needle for me much anymore, but I am interested to see what MadBum does down there.
    Mariners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going with Seattle at number 6

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying Tigers again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not much of a fan of the D-Backs, but they did employ Wilmer Flores last season, which is always a plus for Mets fans. (Seems he's moved on to the Giants now.) Their uniforms haven't been good in recent years; when they announced the dark grey road unis I thought it was a good idea, but when I saw them on the field, I realized I was wrong!

    I'll go Cleveland again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three in a row. Everything from here on out is gravy. I'm guessing the Rays.

    P.S. The Diamondbacks will always be appreciated for their WS victory of the Evil Empire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not in the contest, just commenting here to say the Diamondbacks are gross. Every year. Gross. Bizarre uniforms that they've never gotten right, weird attitudes from the management about other teams' fans, trying to get the Dodgers into fights, acquiring Madison Bumgarner, Archie Bradley mouthing off like a buffoon, that stupid pool, naming themselves after an entire state, the fact they shouldn't exist. Distasteful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the vitriol here! Seriously, to me the d-backs are a harmless enough team with a weird pool in their stadium. Quirky, kind of interesting, and they beat the Yankees that one time while I was in college (surround by Yankee fans no less). For that reason alone I think the D-backs will remain fairly high in my rankings!

      Delete
  9. I'm going to say Tigers...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment